Get My Toolbar

Thursday, August 6, 2009

A profound truth

A profound truth
Do you know what it is like when you have read the Bible for years, and all of the sudden you see something new? This continues to happen to me, and I love it! It makes my reading so exciting.

One of my favorite quotes is from Abraham Lincoln. "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." I heard this, the first time many years ago when my daughter was a very small girl. She must have been about 2 or 3 when we bought her the movie, "Pollyanna". It is about a little girl who always looked for the good, whether it is in people or situations. She would turn them into something good.

I find that I do this myself and if I do start looking at the bad, I try to turn it around as soon as I see it in myself or as soon as someone points it out to me. Some don't like it when you do this. Just like in Pollyanna, not everyone appreciated that she always looked for the good in things. They would rather look for the bad, and say ‘Aha! See, I told you there was something about that person, or I told you that was going to happen.’ Others, may say something about a person, because they think that they know them from past experience, and want to let you know about them. Sure they might be doing this because they think that they are doing a good thing by letting others know, but really all that it does is put a bad taste in someone’s mouth so that they can't really find out about someone without any hindrance.

Case in point, my neighbors; I've not known them for very long as we just moved back in November. I took it upon myself to introduce myself and my children to them and other neighbors. Taking them cookies and talking to them when I get the chance. I like to be neighborly and have found that they also like to be neighborly too. In fact, they have brought us elk steak, and sturgeon, which I am grilling the sturgeon this Friday. We made a cake for them, but his wife wasn't home and he ate the whole thing himself. LOL

A friend came over and told me some things they knew about them, I have never seen this kind of behavior from these people and choose to just forget about it. I think that this person has changed and I would rather be judged myself for current behavior and not my past, so I am sure that they would feel the same way.

Where am I going with all this? Yesterday, I was reading in Proverbs again. I'm reading the Bible by Themes this year and Wednesday is my Poetry day. In chapter 16, verse 27 this jumped out at me. A good-for-nothing man is digging up what is bad, and upon his lips there is, as it were, a scorching fire. Isn't that the truth! Because of what some will believe about someone, it does become like a scorching fire, burning everything in sight. There are those good-for-nothing, people who live to say bad things about people, know that there will be those that believe it, whether it be true or not. Some true things, may be just something that someone needs to live down from their past, and if it is brought up again and again by someone, then they can’t. If it is false, it can make the person being charge become defensive, what joy is there in that? How up-building is that?

Remember, Saul who became Paul. Galatians 1:3, today's text, shows how someone can change. He was a persecutor of Christians, even approving of their death; can anything be worse? Not one of us is perfect, so we should be trying to build one another up, not tear one another down. What is up-building and good should be focused on, not what this person did in the past, or even recently. Focus on the good.

Here is a new quote, "Look for the good in people expecting to find it, and you surely will." Let’s all be good-for-something people.


Have a wonderful day, week, year.

No comments:

Chat here